Global Backpack Project (GBP) is a nonprofit organization founded by Karla Bean and Samir Naser, owners of Indigo Traders. It began by delivering backpacks and school supplies to children we met on our buying trips to the Middle East. Today, we deliver backpacks and supplies to children in our local Portland neighborhoods, as well as to children in Africa, the Middle East, Europe and the Caribbean.
Global Backpack Project exists to encourage a desire for learning by helping children feel prepared for school. With the help of our local community and partner organizations, we seek to make a difference in the lives of children just as they seek to make a difference for themselves and their community.
We envision a world which supports education for all girls and boys so they may reach their unlimited potential in school and life.
Want to get involved?
There are many ways to join our efforts to help at-risk children succeed in school.
- Donations of backpacks, school supplies or monetary contributions are gladly accepted all year long at both Indigo Traders locations.
- Be part of our annual Backpack Run in August
- Donate to our projects on the GlobalGiving.org network (Uganda and Portland)
- Join Indigo Traders and become a corporate sponsor of Global Backpack Project
- Join Ruthie (pictured above with Hello Kitty and Samir) and host your own backpack drive.
“Before I had my backpack, nobody paid much attention to me. Now everyone wants to carry my bag for me on the way to school. I like going to school.” Farah, age 8